[wfs-dev] RE: Axis Ordering in GML

Jeff Fitzgerald jeff.fitzgerald at caris.com
Fri May 20 06:56:49 EST 2005

Going back to the spec (2.1.x anyway), the gml:coord and gml:coordinates
elements don't have any knowledge of a coordinate system, since they don't
have an srsName attribute. In the spec, they show an example of a gml:coord
element and its equivalent gml:coordinates element. The example implies the
order should be (x,y) or in the case of EPSG:4326 (lon, lat).

<Point srsName="http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#4326">
<coord><X>5.0</X><Y>40.0</Y></coord>
</Point>

This would allow the Point example provided above to be encoded as:

<Point srsName="http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#4326">
<coordinates>5.0,40.0</coordinates>
</Point>