[wfs-dev] Axis Ordering in GML

Allan Doyle adoyle at intl-interfaces.com
Fri May 20 11:46:17 EST 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 12:23, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> True, but if we consider consistent axis ordering (under any scheme
> at all!) a proper part of interoperability (and we *should*!) then
> the CITE tests should exercise that! And they don't! So it is
> possible for non-interoperable implementations to pass CITE!

But we've already found out that CITE doesn't test interoperability,
nor does it test conformance to the spec. It tests compliance to the
*profile* of the spec that was defined for the test itself. See this
excerpt from wms.rwg:

On Jan 31, 2005, at 11:42, Morris, Charles, E. wrote:

 > Allan Doyle wrote:
 >>>
 >>>  1- To be certifiable as a BASIC WMS, an
 >>>  implementation must meet the following requirements:
 >>> ·It must support image/png or image/gif for GetMap
 >>> requests.
 >>
 >> This is a shortcoming in the conformance test. The WMS spec does not
 >> require either of these formats.
 >>

 > I think there are some misunderstandings here.  The compliance test
 > requirements do not modify the WMS spec.  What they do is define
 > profiles of WMS implementations.  To meet the profile somewhat
 > arbitrarilly called "BASIC", the implementation must support PNG or
 > GIF.  This doesn't imply that implementations that don't meet this
 > requirement aren't conformant to the WMS spec.

So all is not lost. The testers could (should?) define a test that
ensures interoperability!

     Allan