[wfs-dev] summary of changes from wfs 1.0 to 1.1?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Oct 16 11:27:27 EDT 2006

I just pulled this together from some notes that I made for our
implementation, so it's a bit rough, but should give a decent starting
point.  We've got a basic WFS (caps, describe and getfeature) on a
branch in GeoServer, and are close to done with transaction stuff.
Justin may have some more to add, as he's been doing the implementation.

Soap Wrappers 	For all operations

Get Feature WFS 1.1
	Results as hits
	SortBy
	Reprojection
	* Xlink properties (get gml object stuff)
	GML 3.1.1

Describe WFS 1.1
	GML 3.1.1 (no other changes afaik)

Transaction WFS 1.1
	Reprojection in Insert
	IdGen options:

GenerateNew (default)
   The web feature service shall generate unique identifiers for all
newly inserted feature instances.
UseExisting
use the gml:id attribute values on inserted features and elements. If
any of those IDs duplicates the ID of a feature or element already
stored in the WFS, the WFS shall raise an exception.
ReplaceDuplicate
    A WFS client can request that the WFS generate IDs to replace the
input values of gml:id attributes of feature elements that duplicate the
ID of a feature or element already stored in the WFS, instead of raising
an exception, by setting the idgen attribute of the InsertElementType to
the value "ReplaceDuplicate".

LockFeature WFS 1.1	No changes, except GML 3.1.1

GetGMLObject WFS 1.1
	New Operation (that doesn't make much sense imho, we're not
implementing for WFS 1.1) tells the server to return remote xlinks.

GetCapabilities WFS 1.1
	SRS reporting
	GetGMLObject caps mods
	Version negotiation (not new, but wasn't an issue before with just one
version of spec)

Filter 1.1
	 GML 3.1.1 parser
	 SortBy