[wfs-dev] WFS-Basic naming

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Tue Oct 31 16:12:48 EST 2006

If you do not have a concept of a Feature Type, then its not a WFS,

here's why I think it matters:

* encoding isnt the issue - its whether you can
  1)  look at a feature definition, and
  2) predict how to generate a query and interpret the response
(structurally)

The proposed solution might apply to to #1 (notwithstanding that you
will have unlimited number of possible schema patterns to interpret,
whereas a ISO feature type can be understood)
but it wont apply to #2

Perhaps you really have something more akin to a vocabulary service -
give me objects _named_  using pattern X in which case

The overloading of WFS semantics with the special cases proposed may
look temptingly simple, but in fact requires a whole raft of external
conventions to be defined and maintained, and semantic deviations to be
documented, that in practice its anything but simple.

An ATOM/GeoRSS discovery service specification might be useful, but
better to constrain an external spec (if there are OGC governed
semantics that matter)  that generalise an OGC spec (whose complexity
and generality is already apparently a hurdle)