[wfs-dev] Axis Ordering in GML

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Thu May 19 20:33:12 EST 2005

No - it is not legal.
The main reason is the one you identify - as will all other coordinate
reference system definitions, EPSG 4326 does specify the axis order, and
as with all traditional geographic systems, the axis order is
latitude-longitude.
Furthermore, I think 4326 specifies DMSH as the encoding, though this
aspect might have been relaxed.
It is in fact not a GML issue, but is an EPSG issue.
GML inherits the rules provided by the organisation that are providing
the definition of the CRS.

Two other issues:
1. "EPSG:4326" is not a valid URI. In Document 05-010 OGC has defined a
URN scheme that is defined to refer to thing that you are trying to
point to. In this case it would be urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG:6.3:4326
2. the gml:coordinates element is deprecated in GML 3.0 and beyond. Use
gml:pos instead, with spaces between the components instead of comma.

Simon