[wfs-dev] Re: [SFsql.rwg] RE: Axis Ordering in GML - an FYI

Carl Reed OGC creed at opengeospatial.org
Mon May 23 12:04:34 EST 2005

Roel -

Thanks for the clarification and additional information. The following is
not to incite more dicussion but is merely provided as informational :-)

As this latest discussion on axis order was progressing, I browsed around
the web looking for other standards and products use of geographics and how
the axis were ordered. Kind of a best practices study. I found that the
majority of other standards that express or encode WGS 84 based coordinates
do so as latitude/longitude (see below).

Cheers

Carl

Axis Order best practice:

OASIS CAP: A WGS-84 coordinate value is here represented as a
comma-delimited latitude/longitude pair, measured in decimal degrees
(un-projected). Latitudes range from -90 to 90 and longitudes range
from -180 to 180

OMA MLP API: Example -
  <Point srsName="www.epsg.org#4326" gid="some_thing">

    <coord>

      <Y>30 27 45.3N</Y>

      <X>45 25 52.9E</X>

    </coord>

  </Point>
IETF DHCP Location Draft RFC: Latitude and Longitude are represented in
fixed-point 2s-complement binary degrees, for the economy of a smaller
option size compared to the string  encoding of digits in [4]. Datum is WGS
84

IETF PIDF Location Draft RFC: example (is GML!)
  <gml:Point gml:id="point96" srsName="epsg:4326">
         <gml:coordinates>31:56:00S 115:50:00E</gml:coordinates>
  </gml:Point>
netCDF: Appears to be Long/Lat :-)

Climate Data Markup Language (CDML): Lat/Long

Portland State University class on CRS: Geographics are expressed at
Lat/Long.

POSC Epicenter Model - Lat/Long

GeoVRML: Either. Lat/Long is the default. GD - "<latitude> <longitude>
and longitude is controlled by the geoSystem field. If "latitude_first" is
specified, the order is latitude then longitude. If "longitude_first" is
specified, the order is longitude then latitude. If neither is specified,
"latitude_first" is the default.

SEDRIS - Lat/Long

West Virginia GIS Standard best Practices - Lat/Long

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return
email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.